What is BHA?
BHA is a chemical, inner-pore exfoliant. This means that has the ability to travel INTO the pore, clear out any junk that might be stuck in there (cellular debris, sebum, etc.) and also assist in removing dead skin cells on the surface of our skin to improve "cellular turnover". Basically it keeps your pore clear and improves the overall appearance of our skin.
Why should I use a product with BHA?
Regardless of whether you have blemish-prone skin or not, BHA will, no-doubt, improve the look of your skin. Everyone can benefit from BHA because of its exfoliant properties. Regular exfoliation improves skin tone and texture, promotes collagen generation (which helps diminish fine lines), and PREVENTS CLOGGED PORES AND BLEMISHES! Hello?!?!?! need I say more?
How do I know which BHA/salicylic acid products are the best?
Good question! By now I hope you realize that all skin care products are not made equally, furthermore, many skin care and cosmetic companies are just downright deceptive! BHA is a very special skin care ingredient because it must be formulated at a specific pH value, meaning most products contain BHA but not at the proper pH to be effective. Unfortunately, I am aware of only a few BHA products that are known to have the proper formulation, see them below!
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Hydrating Treatment
- 2% BHA
- Silicone base
- Contains antioxidants and anti-irritants! YAY!
- Great for normal to oily skin
- Available online or in-store
- Proactiv Solution Clarifying Night Cream
- 1% BHA (more gentle)
- Available in a regular (1oz) or jumbo (2.5oz)
- Contains antioxidants and retinol
- Good for normal to dry skin
- Choose 1% or 2%
- Available in a Lotion, Gel, or Liquid
- Contains green tea extract, an amazing anti-inflammatory ingredient!
- MUCH CHEAPER if you buy it directly from paulaschoice.com
- Works like a charm!